Prostate cancer pharmacotherapy
Drug therapy is used for advanced and high-risk prostate cancer. At Docrates Cancer Center, we take advantage of the latest treatments and make an individual treatment plan for each of our patients.
New prostate cancer drugs are effective and well tolerated
Pharmacotherapy is most commonly administered for metastasised prostate cancer, but it’s also used as an additional therapy for localised high risk cancer. Many new, effective drugs intended for the treatment of metastasised cancer have entered the market – they are all available at Docrates.
The new drugs are also often suitable for the elderly, patients with multiple illnesses, and combination therapy. The new prostate cancer drugs are often both more effective and better tolerated than previous drugs, and may even work after prior medication has lost its effectiveness. The new medicines can be used to alleviate symptoms, slow down disease progression in the bones in particular, and increase lifetime – the aim is for the patient to be able to continue leading as normal a life as possible.
There are three main types of new prostate cancer drugs:
1) Targeted hormonal therapy in the form of pills (secondary hormonal therapy)
- For example, abiraterone and enzalutamide
2) Cytostatic drugs
- For example, intravenously administered cabazitaxel
3) Radionuclide therapies intended for the treatment of metastases
- Intravenously administered Radium‑223 targets bone metastases
- Still an experimental radioactive drug Lu-PSMA effectively treats metastases both in soft tissues and in the bone
Colorectal cancer is a common but rarely talked-about disease
Colorectal cancer is the second most common cancer in Finland, and its level of incidence is increasing. Lifestyles and the...Read more
Breakthroughs in follow-up cancer diagnostics: Recurring cancer can be detected before it reaches full speed
20.4.2023 | A liquid biopsy using markers released into the bloodstream by cancer cells can reveal the possible recurrence of...Read more
Internal radiotherapy is an effective method of treatment for metastatic prostate cancer
14.3.2023 | Docrates Cancer Center studied the effectiveness of 177Lu-PSMA treatment with a 4-week treatment interval for patients with metastatic...Read more
The number of insured patients has more than tripled in five years
9.3.2023 | In 2022, nearly 30% of revenue generated by Docrates Cancer Center’s Finnish patients came from insurance company customers,...Read more
Why come to Docrates Cancer Center?
- Top cancer experts and effective treatments without delay.
- Individual care. You have your own care team - your doctor and your nurse.
- Front line cancer treatment. Latest medical technology combined with proven expertise in cancer care.
- Experience in treating international patients from over 60 countries. Multilingual personnel.
Mon-Thu 8 am-6 pm, Fri 8 am-4 pm (local time)