Prostate cancer pharmacotherapy
Drug therapy is used for advanced and high-risk prostate cancer. At Docrates Cancer Center, we take advantage of the latest treatments and make an individual treatment plan for each of our patients.
New prostate cancer drugs are effective and well tolerated
Pharmacotherapy is most commonly administered for metastasised prostate cancer, but it’s also used as an additional therapy for localised high risk cancer. Many new, effective drugs intended for the treatment of metastasised cancer have entered the market – they are all available at Docrates.
The new drugs are also often suitable for the elderly, patients with multiple illnesses, and combination therapy. The new prostate cancer drugs are often both more effective and better tolerated than previous drugs, and may even work after prior medication has lost its effectiveness. The new medicines can be used to alleviate symptoms, slow down disease progression in the bones in particular, and increase lifetime – the aim is for the patient to be able to continue leading as normal a life as possible.
There are three main types of new prostate cancer drugs:
1) Targeted hormonal therapy in the form of pills (secondary hormonal therapy)
- For example, abiraterone and enzalutamide
2) Cytostatic drugs
- For example, intravenously administered cabazitaxel
3) Radionuclide therapies intended for the treatment of metastases
- Intravenously administered Radium‑223 targets bone metastases
- Still an experimental radioactive drug Lu-PSMA effectively treats metastases both in soft tissues and in the bone
A new solution-focused well-being service for cancer patients
The selection of health and well-being services provided by Docrates Cancer Center is expanding. The solution-focused health and well-being service...Read more
We are renewing the pricing of our services starting
24.11.2022 | We are renewing the pricing of our services starting from January 1st 2023, due to the general increase...Read more
Docrates Cancer Center celebrates its 15th anniversary – one step ahead of cancer
24.11.2022 | The private cancer hospital Docrates Cancer Center is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Docrates Cancer Center is...Read more
Study: How cancer affects your sex life – “It’s good to remember that sexuality is not the same as intercourse,” says Professor Timo Joensuu
Oct 19, 2022 | Cancer can be difficult both physically and mentally. It can have a major impact on your...Read more
Why come to Docrates Cancer Center?
- Top cancer experts and effective treatments without delay.
- Individual care. You have your own care team - your doctor and your nurse.
- Front line cancer treatment. Latest medical technology combined with proven expertise in cancer care.
- Experience in treating international patients from over 60 countries. Multilingual personnel.