Prostate cancer pharmacotherapy
Drug therapy is used for advanced and high-risk prostate cancer. At Docrates Cancer Center, we take advantage of the latest treatments and make an individual treatment plan for each of our patients.
New prostate cancer drugs are effective and well tolerated
Pharmacotherapy is most commonly administered for metastasised prostate cancer, but it’s also used as an additional therapy for localised high risk cancer. Many new, effective drugs intended for the treatment of metastasised cancer have entered the market – they are all available at Docrates.
The new drugs are also often suitable for the elderly, patients with multiple illnesses, and combination therapy. The new prostate cancer drugs are often both more effective and better tolerated than previous drugs, and may even work after prior medication has lost its effectiveness. The new medicines can be used to alleviate symptoms, slow down disease progression in the bones in particular, and increase lifetime – the aim is for the patient to be able to continue leading as normal a life as possible.
There are three main types of new prostate cancer drugs:
1) Targeted hormonal therapy in the form of pills (secondary hormonal therapy)
- For example, abiraterone and enzalutamide
2) Cytostatic drugs
- For example, intravenously administered cabazitaxel
3) Radionuclide therapies intended for the treatment of metastases
- Intravenously administered Radium‑223 targets bone metastases
- Still an experimental radioactive drug Lu-PSMA effectively treats metastases both in soft tissues and in the bone
PSA testing best method so far for early detection of prostate cancer – Pros and cons of PSA
PSA testing has its pros and cons. Should you have a PSA test?Read more
New blood test for prostate cancer diagnostics
Docrates Cancer Center is first in Finland to start using a new blood test supporting PSA-testing in prostate cancer A...Read more
Your safety is the most important to us
Many cancer patients have several concerns when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic, e.g. how does the situation impact my...Read more
Cancer and Coronavirus – FAQ
The coronavirus is a concern among cancer patients. We listed the most common concerns and the answers to them.Read more
Why come to Docrates Cancer Center?
- Top cancer experts and effective treatments without delay even during epidemic.
- Individual care. You have your own care team - your doctor and your nurse.
- Front line cancer treatment. Latest medical technology combined with proven expertise in cancer care.
- Experience in treating international patients from over 60 countries. Multilingual personnel.