Prostate cancer pharmacotherapy
Drug therapy is used for advanced and high-risk prostate cancer. At Docrates Cancer Center, we take advantage of the latest treatments and make an individual treatment plan for each of our patients.
New prostate cancer drugs are effective and well tolerated
Pharmacotherapy is most commonly administered for metastasised prostate cancer, but it’s also used as an additional therapy for localised high risk cancer. Many new, effective drugs intended for the treatment of metastasised cancer have entered the market – they are all available at Docrates.
The new drugs are also often suitable for the elderly, patients with multiple illnesses, and combination therapy. The new prostate cancer drugs are often both more effective and better tolerated than previous drugs, and may even work after prior medication has lost its effectiveness. The new medicines can be used to alleviate symptoms, slow down disease progression in the bones in particular, and increase lifetime – the aim is for the patient to be able to continue leading as normal a life as possible.
There are three main types of new prostate cancer drugs:
1) Targeted hormonal therapy in the form of pills (secondary hormonal therapy)
- For example, abiraterone and enzalutamide
2) Cytostatic drugs
- For example, intravenously administered cabazitaxel
3) Radionuclide therapies intended for the treatment of metastases
- Intravenously administered Radium‑223 targets bone metastases
- Still an experimental radioactive drug Lu-PSMA effectively treats metastases both in soft tissues and in the bone
Accurate information on aggressiveness and tumor staging form the basis for prostate cancer treatment
In western countries, prostate cancer is the most common cancer type in men. In its early stages, it is often...Read more
Should low-risk prostate cancer be left to active monitoring?
Active treatment vs. monitoring of localised low-risk prostate cancer has long been a contested topic. According to the results of...Read more
Docrates uses the newest drug therapies for breast cancer
New cancer drugs are being developed all the time, and new uses are being found for drugs already in use....Read more
“The future of cancer treatment” is already a reality in Finland – gene profiling may benefit all cancer patients
- Gene profiling is a new method for examining the characteristics of cancer tumors, which is currently useful in the...Read more
Why come to Docrates Cancer Center?
- Top cancer experts and effective treatments without delay.
- Individual care. You have your own care team - your doctor and your nurse.
- Front line cancer treatment. Latest medical technology combined with proven expertise in cancer care.
- Experience in treating international patients from over 60 countries. Multilingual personnel.